Monday, August 13, 2007

Bizarre News Story of the Week

Just because I know you're all getting sick of reading my boring dribble, here's something new and fun. Each Monday morning, I'll link to a news story that I found to be particularly funny, weird or that makes me just want to shake my head.

The inaugural (or what is the term for first weekly? Latin readers anyone?) story comes from the AP.

"E-ZPass is an E-ZPass to go directly to divorce court, because it's an easy way to show you took the off-ramp to adultery," said Jacalyn Barnett, a New York divorce lawyer who has used E-ZPass records a few times.

Are you kidding me? Seriously, who is her media coach, because he needs to be fired. How is there not even a Monopoly reference in that quote? Was it just too easy? Stick it in right after "to go directly to divorce court" and you're money. And how couldn't the editor work in something like that? This is what passes for journalism these days by the AP.

But wait, it gets better ....

"When you're marketed for this new convenience, you may not realize there are these types of costs," said Nicole Ozer of the American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California.

Bob Barr, a former Republican congressman from Georgia turned Libertarian and privacy rights advocate, said people who want to protect their privacy shouldn't use electronic toll systems.

"People are foolish to buy into these systems without thinking, just because they want to save 20 seconds of time going through a toll booth," he said.


The ACLU and Bob Barr, who is most famous for helping run the Clinton impleachment on the House floor, is telling me that by saving 20 seconds I'm opening myself up to a vast left-wing conspiracy. Uhh, Bob, have you been inhaling the stuff that Georgia imports up to Tennessee? (25,000 lbs of weed along with meth and coke?) Have you not driven down the Jersey Turnpike and across the Delaware Memorial Bridge or the Garden State Parkway? Twenty seconds? I want to know what lane your black Suburban powers through on. So I can stay out of the way of the insurance assessors. And the ambulance chasing lawyers.

No comments: