Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why I Don't Want Girls ....

There are times when I think that I want to have kids down the road, and then there are times when I don't want to have them.

Someone sent me this rant, from Tech Liberation Front, and it had me laughing outloud. (And no, I will never LOL, ever). Go to the link, since I can't get the picture up on here, but man, is it funny.

Now, I totally can hear myself saying all the things that I have to say to the kids to explain why the dog is buried. But I seem to remember being the one who buried my pet iguana after my mom fried it one day. Found a nice big rock, put him under it in a foot deep hole and let him go. I hope the garden didn't swallow him up too much.

But yes, the Mattel toy recall is a big deal, and it's just funny that 1) someone sold to a toy company the idea that a pooping dog and a Barbie with a pooper scooper would sell; 2) that it actually did sell; 3) the fact that I can see myself thinking the same thing as the three year old. I mean, how old am I now that I'd say something like that? Yikes.

It also raises the fact that lead paint was a childhood problem for my parents generation, and maybe for current kids now. They turned out fine, are the leaders of the free world now. Let's relax and let kids have some fun.

P.S. Old Yeller still makes me bawl, but not as much as Where the Red Fern Grows. My kids will definitely be reading that one with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someday you and your wife are going to have a little girl and that little girl is going to be the apple of your eye and have you wrapped around her little finger. I can see it now...

PayingForPlaying said...

That is too funny (expect the lead paint part)! But I could totally see myself as a kid wanting that Tanner dog with his own doghouse behind Barbie's.

On a side note, I hate Old Yeller, will never watch it again (one time was enough) and I will never subject my children to that kind of pain.